Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Silly Putty for the Dentally Challenged

Smiles by Stevens, Visit #3:  Caulking & Crown Molding

Appointment with Dr. Shea Stevens, DMD.



Those of you who've read my blog, know that I've written a couple of pieces about my dreaded experiences with The Dentist.  This morning was my third visit to Dr. Stevens' office, and the most dreaded, yet.

Today, I had to have four teeth filled, and one filling removed, replaced, filed down, and crowned - all on the right side (Right Brained, Right Handed, Right Chew Dominant).  In a 3.5 hour visit, I was told I could have it all finished - decay defeated, teeth protected, temporary fortress in place.  In 3.5 hours, I could build a defense policy against future invasion, prevent any potential infractions, eliminate all evidence of destruction.  Like an oral lobotomy.  Beautiful.



Doc Stevens is amazing, and put me at ease right away.  He explained the process, joked around, even sang a little - however poorly.  He continually asked how I was doing; if I was OK.  When I felt the drill, he applied more anesthetic.  It made me wonder if Doc Stevens would consider shrinking.  Numb me up, address the pain.  Hit a nerve, and medicate some more.  Keep probing, keep drilling down to the roots.

Thankfully, I didn't need a root canal.  The damage went to the gum line, but didn't penetrate any further - no evidence of tissue or bleeding - no deep seated decay.  Thankfully, my mouth isn't as deeply affected as my brain.  Thankfully, this discomfort will go away, this pain can be reversed.

So, there I was - sentenced to 3.5 hours in the chair, and doing my best to stay open, focused, resilient.  Wishing this dental work could be mental work - knowing I could use the cavity fillings, the protective wall, the defense mechanisms.  I sat there, wanting this experience to encompass more than just remodeling my mouth.  But I guess that's on me.

I think the parallels between dental and mental health are strong.  I've started to floss daily - figuratively and metaphorically.  I fight to rid myself of the plaque that causes decay.  I do my best to ward off the intruders that fill those spaces with negatives, those enemies that sneak in, and make themselves at home.

It's been a while, but I've found my way back to the right track.  My mouth is making a comeback, and my psyche is following suit.  I've finally come to understand that damage is reversible - with a little anesthetic, a little pain, and a little work.  Nothing is easy, nothing is free - but anything is possible.

As I was leaving work today, Dr. Stevens called me.  He wanted to know how I was doing.  He'd told me this morning that he was going to call, but the fact that he calls his customers to check on them was so pleasing to me.  I smiled ear to ear, while I told him I'd had some pain when the anesthetic wore off, but I took some Advil, and I was doing well.  I restrained myself from asking if he would be willing to switch fields.  I seriously think he'd make a great Psychiatrist.  I'm crossing my fingers that he comes across this epiphany on his own.

After I talked with the doc, I called the Hubster to meet me for dinner.  Some more anesthetic, some soft food, a little empathy.  A few hours of this kind of therapy was just what I needed.  Dental Pain/Mental Pain - great food, good wine, a little love - and all is right again.

So, next up - The Coronation.  Permanent crown is introduced and seated.  Looking forward to the new fortress.  Stay tuned.....

- L.

2 comments:

  1. as I said before, I like the dental/mental metaphor you're doing...it's not an obvious choice but if definitely works...there is a TON that you pulling out the topic!

    more importantly, "It's been a while, but I've found my way back to the right track. My mouth is making a comeback, and my psyche is following suit. I've finally come to understand that damage is reversible - with a little anesthetic, a little pain, and a little work. Nothing is easy, nothing is free - but anything is possible. " I am quite happy to read this.

    and my dentist, when I first went after I moved up here, I had a similar experience, and my dentist called me too at home. which I did find quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing ever changes if nothing ever changes...

    Bravo...I love your courage - in the Dentists' chair and out.

    By the by, how is Doc Stevens old enough to be a dentist? Does he look older in person?

    MWAH

    ReplyDelete