Sunday, March 20, 2011

Love Makes the World Go Round

I woke up this morning to a story of a little boy and his family, going through the unimaginable, fighting the impossible.  A little boy plagued with cancer, destined to lose everything, before he even has a chance to live.  Trey Love hopes to turn 5 in October, but might never have the chance, and all day, I've been thinking of his family and his friends, and wondering how anyone wakes up with hope every day, when such tragedy exists.

Trey's parents are Phoenixville residents, but spend most of their time at CHOP, with their brave little son.  Bouts of chemotherapy and surgeries, and the little man stays lively and strong.  I wonder, how do his parents deal with the day to day, the helplessness, the pain, the overwhelming need to keep trying?  How do they do it, when every day - I feel defeated?  Every day, I succumb to the pressure to be perfect, the need to succeed.  Every day, I beat myself up for not being enough, for not living my life the way I should.

Look at our problems.  Compare them.  Love wins - hands down.  What have I got to complain about?  Why am I struggling?  This child is dying, and his parents will die with him, and I complain about my lack of motivation, about missing my zest for life.  Seriously.  If I could give that child a new world, I would do it, in a heartbeat.  Give it to someone who needs it.  Hand it to someone who's earned it.

Trey Love is an inspiration.  He didn't ask for the challenge, but he fights through it, every day.  His parents recognize the importance of the battle, and they know they might not win.  No one should need to endure the pain and futility they've had to endure, and yet, they do it every day.  Mike Love tells the world he's not afraid to ask for help - not now - and that, in itself, is a huge admission.  It's hard to ask for help - to feel deserving of help - but he knows they need it, and he knows they'll give it back, one day.

There's a vigil in Reeve's Park tonight.  Phoenixville natives are attending, and lighting candles for Trey and his family.  I'm not there, but I'm there in spirit.  Bless everyone who came out to show their support, and much love to the family of that little hero.  No matter what happens, I'd like to thank the Loves for sharing their story, and for putting life in perspective.  I'll think of Trey, when I'm tempted to be selfish, when I fall into the "Woe is me" trap.

I truly hope the light of the candles shines upon him, and his suffering is lessened by the love and goodness in this world.  Thank you, Phoenixville, for stepping up. And please, help if you can -

http://www.causes.com/causes/124694-support-trey-love
Qdm

- - L.

2 comments:

  1. This is very nice, L. I actually used to date Mike Love waaaaaayyyyy back in the day, and although we didn't stay in close touch, I also have been in tears all day hurting for him and his family. Mike and family were and are amazing people. Trey's battle is an important lesson to all, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post today. the ONLY way something like this can begin to make any sense in the world is that something like this should serve as a HUGE inspiration to appreciate what all you have in life, no matter what.

    When, as adults, did we lose the zest for living and fighting and learning and just pure happiness of being alive and surrounded by loved ones? When did we lose as adults what comes naturally to children? Regardless of when, it's stories like this that make me want to get that zest back.

    ReplyDelete